Saturday, October 12, 2013

NYCC - Oh Yeah! continued

So after finding a nice FM page I settled terms with Mitch and made off. I have not yet paid anything, for now at least, and Mitch still has the page, for now, so no scans or anything.

I don't think I mentioned it but I had to take off my hoodie when I got to the Graphic Collectibles table. Yeah it was hot but looking at the art and realizing I had the option of purchasing something made me flush. I had to take a moment and regroup.

Really.

So with that accomplished I made my way out of town and off to the suburb of Artists' Alley. I had to track down my number one target, the secret commission I was hoping for - David Wenzel. I am off to dinner in a few so google his talented ass and you will see why I was excited to see his name among the guests. I have never seen David Wenzel before, and I have been going to cons for 20 plus years. So I knew I needed some money for something from this man,and sure enough I found him relatively alone still putting out his wares. I was second in line and eventually introduced myself when number one in line got overwhelmed by the choices and stepped aside for a bit. David remembered out email exchange and exclaimed "but I have never drawn Dr Strange!" I told him that was okay and that I was not going to be a slave to costume or anything. We agreed on a limited watercolor that I will pick up Sunday. I also think I will likely get an at-home commission next year for the living room wall. I am tempted for a real magic scene with Dr.Strange but how can I pass on a giant "Death of Smaug" or "Bilbo takes the Ring of One from Gollum" painting?

So hopefully tomorrow I acquire a David Wenzel watercolor of Dr. Strange. Look for it next week.

I have only one other acquisition to pick up,a pre-arranged commission from Tom Raney. I have dropped most convention sketches and more simple commissions from my target sights, but Tom is one of three guys (Andy MacDonald and Sean Chen the others) whom I see frequently on the scene and who still do it for me.Not good value for the art, just plain old good art. So I will give that cats my cash anytime they are slinging ink for hire.

Okay, expect another report after tomorrow as there are always surprises, some disappointment, and maybe unexpected rewards!

No comments: