Saturday, February 15, 2014

Some thoughts on "Desert Island Discs" and the offering of a higher standard

My wife and I were out carousing this afternoon, having left the children home we decided to go to a favorite family restaurant. I have found the wife to be a much different individual when The Coven is broken. When all three females convene she is someone else, no better or worse but different. But I use the word carousing very specifically, because there is a great degree more fun in her demeanor and a higher bounce in her step when she can be a participant and not the High Priestess.

At one point she asked me to give a good example of a perfect record. (Record she said. We are indeed old fogeys.) I immediately said "The Royal Scam". But then I told her that perfect albums, one with all great songs, were common and that the true measure of a band was to have three such albums in a row. Now that is sustained excellence in music making. Here are some I would venture qualify, and I will start with The Dan since I mentioned Royal Scam. (NOTE: The Beatles don't count because you can go for more than three albums easily.)

Steely Dan
The Royal Scam (1976)
Aja (1977)
Gaucho (1980)

Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin (1969)
Led Zeppelin II (1969)
Led Zeppelin III (1970)
Led Zeppelin IV (1971)

Rush (that's my band from back in the day, I could have started with A Farewell To Kings)
Hemispheres (1978)
Permanent Waves (1980)
Moving Pictures (1981)

The Grateful Dead  (look I could go a few ways, but some songs on each album keep me from the Wake..Mars Hotel...Blues for Allah...Terrapin..Shakedown streak, which was amazing. So I go with)
Aoxomoxoa (1969)
Workingman's Dead (1970)
American Beauty (1970)

Yes (I would maybe even start with Time and a Word, a great and overlooked album)
The Yes Album (1971)
Fragile (1971)
Close To The Egde (1972)

Neil Young
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (1969)
After the Gold Rush (1970)
Harvest (1972)

Billy Joel has two with The Stranger and 52nd street, but he didn't quite keep it going with Glass Houses and Turnstiles was very good but not yet great. Any thoughts on who else has three great albums. Do you think any of my choices are wrong? Do I have the right band but the wrong albums? I would love to hear from you, just leave a comment and let's see what everyone thinks!

PS WOW! I just realized that Ilike that period from 1969-1972 or so, huh?






No comments: