Saturday, April 5, 2014

New to The Fifty - PMS Commission!

Paul M Smith 2008 commission Dr. Strange / Dr. Doom

This is one of my favorite commissions that I have ever received. I will eventually frame it and hang it on the wall, and it is certainly deserving for The Fifty. I love Paul Smith's version of this guy -



and was tempted to use him against Dr. Strange in the commission. Or maybe this guy -



But as it turns out, I am quite glad I went with Doom! I mean that commission is all kinds of awesome. The tendrils on the sphere containing Strange are probably my favorite touch, and I have since asked for similar tendrils in other Dr. Strange commissions.


BTW, I will be getting three pieces back from the framer in the next ten days or so. This is a significant development as it had been many months since I have framed any of my art. But with my recent consignment of art to an auction house I decided I could spend some of the proceeds on framing. I brought three pieces in,one of which was the Starman pinup I recently posted about. One was a painting by Tim Truman that served as a concert poster for a Ratdog (Bob Weir) / Planet Drum (Mickey Hart) / Hot Tuna (Jorma and Jack) New Millenium New Year's Eve show. The other is obviously in The Fifty but has not been revealed as such yet. And funny enough the day I ordered those three frames I got a great frame shop coupon. That one lasts until mid-April and I think I may order a few more at that time. They are going to look soooooo good in my house, I can't wait.


The Fifty
1  BWS Storyteller Young Gods page 4
2  Tony Harris / Ray Snyder Dr. Strange WIRED Magazine cover
3  BWS Weapon X page
4  Gene Colan / Tom Palmer Tomb of Dracula 44 page 1 splash
5  Simon Bisley Dr. Strange vs The Mindless Ones
6  Paul Smith Dr. Strange vs Dr.Doom
7  Ted McKeever Dr. Strange vs Dr.Doom in Hell
8  Dan Green Dr. Strange: Into Shamballa splash
9  Tony Harris 1994 Starman pinup
10  Bill Sienkiewicz Superman 400 pinup recreation
11  JHW3 Milestone Forever pinup
12  Darwyn Cooke Wonder Woman
13  Dan Adkins Dr Strange 170 page 11
14 JH Williams 3rd / Mick Gray Promethea 24 double page spread
15  Rudy Nebres - Dr. Strange, Dracula & The Scarlet Witch
16  Anna Merli Clea
17  Mitchell Bretweiser Dr. Strange watercolor
18  Jae Lee Dr. Strange

1 comment:

xraysteve said...

I am enjoying how "The Fifty" is developing and how it has not stopped you from buying art in general which may not qualify.

Personally, I still buy art that I like even though I know they might not be "keepers."