Saturday, August 2, 2014

New Addition to The Fifty - David Mazzucchelli Daredevil 233 page 19

I remember reading this comic book and knowing it was special at the time. I also remember buying this page years ago from Spencer Beck , back when we did business with each other.

David Mazzucchelli DD 233 page from Frank Miller script

When Spencer sold the pages from this issue, they were generally $900 each. For some reason there were a few pages, two or three is my recollection, priced at $300 each. I may have bought the last of these $300 pages; it was a large purchase for me at the time but I jumped on it. (HA! I see from looking at the internet archive, aka the wayback machine, that it was $330 in 2004. I just looked at some sweet pages that went for $900, including a Captain America page recently on the market.)

This page is crazy cool. Every panel is great. If you want to see it yourself, buy the IDW Mazzucchelli Artist Edition; this page was one of those where the rice paper, or whatever it is, was placed in the book so it is easy to find. That third panel is fantastic; I have considered making a shirt of it and have even worked it up. Now that I have framed a 5 Dr. Strange and 3 Starman pieces I have tried to move to some of the artists represented only once or twice in The Fifty when choosing what to frame. This page will be in the next batch I think.

With regard to The Fifty, this page is one of the few actual nostalgia pieces I have to be included. Most of my art focus is on modern age pieces but this page was purchased because I loved reading the comic for which the art was made. And why this page was considered lesser in value is lost to me. I think it is a great page, I was so psyched to see it for that price those ten years ago. It is easily a piece worthy of The Fifty and is a great page in and of itself - watch Nuke escape and strut his psychotic stuff all on one page. The writing and action are so consistent in the "Born Again" storyline that you instantly know what you are looking at. The only thing missing is "Give me a red."

The Fifty
1  BWS Storyteller Young Gods page 4 (framed)
2  Tony Harris / Ray Snyder Dr. Strange WIRED Magazine cover  (framed)
3  BWS Weapon X page  (framed)
4  Tony Harris Starman 53 cover  (framed)
5  David Mazzucchelli Daredevil 233 page 19
6  JHW3 Milestone Forever pinup
7  Simon Bisley Dr. Strange vs The Mindless Ones
8  Paul Smith Dr. Strange vs Dr.Doom  (framed)
9  Dave Sim Mars Attacks variant cover
10  Gene Colan / Tom Palmer Tomb of Dracula 44 page 1 splash  (framed)
11  Dan Green Dr. Strange: Into Shamballa splash
12  Tony Harris 1994 Starman pinup  (framed)
13 Bill Sienkiewicz Superman 400 pinup recreation
14  Ted McKeever Dr. Strange vs Dr.Doom in Hell
15  Dean Ormston Dr. Strange & Eternity
16  Darwyn Cooke Wonder Woman  (framed)
17  Dan Adkins Dr Strange 170 page 11  (framed)
18 Ulises Farinas - Dr. Strange in his Sanctum Sanctorum
19  Rudy Nebres - Dr. Strange, Dracula & The Scarlet Witch
20  Anna Merli Clea
21  Mitchell Bretweiser Dr. Strange watercolor
22  Jae Lee Dr. Strange

No comments: