Sunday, August 31, 2014

The Third Barry Smith Piece in The Fifty!

It is framed so why not announce and anoint it officially: Barry Windsor-Smith Daredevil 236 page for The Fifty! I have three pages so far from this issue and have my eye on a fourth but this is my favorite of those I own.

Barry Smith full art Daredevil 236


When I owned 2 pages from this issue I took them to a show where Bob Wiacek was appearing. Bob shares inking duties with Barry Smith over the Smith pencils for this issue. I asked Bob if he had inked either of the pages and I figured he had likely done one or the other as this page was so dense and dark and the other is very sparse and light-handed. Bob told me he did not ink either of the pages and as I pondered this I decided to show the pages to artist Jimmy Cheung, who was also attending the show. As I told Jimmy of my encounter with Bob he laughed and said something like "of course Barry inked these pages. that's a Barry line there, and those as well" as he pointed out his examples. It hit me in the face how obvious it was as he said it.

Every so often I am reminded of this lesson and have to remember to really look at the art I own. It was lessons like the one Jimmy gave me that spawned my decision to put my art on the walls and eventually create the concept of The Fifty.

I love this page. I only became aware of the rogue issues Barry did occasionally for Marvel after I became a collector of his original comic art. For some reason the pages from Iron man have escaped me and yet this issue seems to find me. This is a great story page with Black Widow sticking up for DD and it not helping one bit. My  favorite panel is that one of DD upside down at the bottom of the page but that middle tier is tremendous as well. DD's head in the panel with Natasha's kick is also well done.

I am just throwing the pieces in here when I rank them but it is really making me think about which pieces deserve what spots.


The Fifty
1  Barry Windsor-Smith Storyteller Young Gods page 4 (framed)
2  Tony Harris / Ray Snyder Dr. Strange WIRED Magazine cover  (framed)
3  Barry Windsor-Smith Weapon X page  (framed)
4  Gene Colan / Tom Palmer Tomb of Dracula 44 page 22  (framed)
5  Tony Harris Starman 3 cover  (framed)
6  Barry Windsor-Smith Daredevil 236 page (framed)
7  Tony Harris Starman 53 cover  (framed)
8  David Mazzucchelli Daredevil 233 page 19
9  JHW3 Milestone Forever pinup
10  Simon Bisley Dr. Strange vs The Mindless Ones
11  Paul Smith Dr. Strange vs Dr.Doom  (framed)
12  Dave Sim Mars Attacks variant cover
13  Gene Colan / Tom Palmer Tomb of Dracula 44 page 1 splash  (framed)
14  Dan Green Dr. Strange: Into Shamballa splash (framed)
15  Tony Harris 1994 Starman pinup  (framed)
16 Bill Sienkiewicz Superman 400 pinup recreation
17  Ted McKeever Dr. Strange vs Dr.Doom in Hell
18  Dean Ormston Dr. Strange & Eternity
19  Bryan Talbot Dr. Strange commission
20  Dan Adkins Dr Strange 170 page 11  (framed)
21 Ulises Farinas - Dr. Strange in his Sanctum Sanctorum
22  Rudy Nebres - Dr. Strange, Dracula & The Scarlet Witch
23  Mike Allred - Doctor Strange, Clea, The Ancient One, Wong, and Rintrah...A Day Off
24  Anna Merli Clea
25  Mitchell Bretweiser Dr. Strange watercolor
26  Jae Lee Dr. Strange
27  Darwyn Cooke Wonder Woman  (framed)

No comments: