Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Fifty gets a repeat offender - The Genius of Jim Williams

Ha, I called him Jim. It has been years, years, since we emailed about me being on his (unpaid) commission list but that is how the emails came to me. From Jim Williams. He is better known in the comics world as JHWilliams 3rd, and recently he has been in the comic news as the artist of the new Sandman comics. He is the greatest artist working in comics being published RIGHT NOW as far as I can see; he designs comics differently, draws comics somewhat differently, and he uses the medium to its' fullest extent in terms of layouts and the use of differing styles and textures. In today's comics he is a leader and innovator and I am pleased to own more than one piece he has created that I have put in The Fifty.

Previously I have written about re-acquiring the Promethea 24 double page spread that is now in the Fifty. Well, take a look at this bad boy.

JHW3 Milestone Forever pinup

This is a rare piece of art for me in that I have no idea who the character is. I know he is called Hardwire and that means nothing to me. Never read any Milestone comics. But I could not pass on this when Jim told me it was for sale. On CAF I wrote that this is Moebius meets Jack Kirby. I like that description and I think it works, so I am going to leave it at that.


The Fifty
1  BWS Storyteller Young Gods page 4
2  Tony Harris / Ray Snyder Dr. Strange WIRED Magazine cover
3  Gene Colan / Tom Palmer Tomb of Dracula 44 page 1 splash
4  Simon Bisley Dr. Strange vs The Mindless Ones
5  JHW3 Milestone Forever pinup
6  Dan Green Dr. Strange: Into Shamballa splash
7  Bill Sienkiewicz Superman 400 pinup recreation
8  Dan Adkins Dr Strange 170 page 11
9  Anna Merli Clea
10  JH Williams 3rd / Mick Gray Promethea 24 double page spread
11  Rudy Nebres - Dr. Strange, Dracula & The Scarlet Witch





And Jim, I still want that commission. (Double page Dr. Strange being attacked by the eyeballs with gaping maws, right?)

No comments: