Monday, November 11, 2013

The Fifty - Dr. Strange by Jae Lee

Once in a while the clouds part and a beam of line shines through. I used to beat the bushes pretty thoroughly before conventions and this entry in The Fifty is evidence that it pays off every so often. I somehow got an email address for Jae Lee back in the day and when he was announced as a guest at a 2006 NYC convention I emailed about advance pieces. He responded pretty quickly and told me I was the right guy at the right time. We proceeded to work out the commission pricing, size, and other details but when push came to shove Jae professed a desire to do Batman, even offering a discount! But when I stuck with Doc he showed what a class act he is and gave me the discount anyway.

Two weeks or so later I had this in my hands.

Doctor Stephen Strange by Jae Lee
I have two versions colored digitally by Tom Smith as well. Here, check them out!





Good work there, thanks Tom!

I grew up in the early Image days of comics. The WildCATs trilogy and Hellshock were a ton of fun, even if they were generally visually striking but confusing as hell. Jae Lee was a great talent and I loved his work; he had a style that was perfect for comics and his moodiness and wonderful textures seem a perfect fit for the good doctor. I was surprised how right that was when Jae gave me this; it is exquisite.



The Fifty
1  BWS Storyteller Young Gods page 4
2  Tony Harris / Ray Snyder Dr. Strange WIRED Magazine cover
3  Gene Colan / Tom Palmer Tomb of Dracula 44 page 1 splash
4  Simon Bisley Dr. Strange vs The Mindless Ones
5  JHW3 Milestone Forever pinup
6  Dan Green Dr. Strange: Into Shamballa splash
7  Bill Sienkiewicz Superman 400 pinup recreation
8  Dan Adkins Dr Strange 170 page 11
9  Anna Merli Clea
10  JH Williams 3rd / Mick Gray Promethea 24 double page spread
11  Rudy Nebres - Dr. Strange, Dracula & The Scarlet Witch
12  Jae Lee Dr. Strange

No comments: