Saturday, September 6, 2014

Dr Strange 170 page (again) by Dan Adkins for The Fifty

My pursuit of The Fifty has included a massive sell-off of my comic art collection; just the other day I went through and consolidated Itoyas again, eliminating three more profolios. It meant mixing some pieces in ways I would not prefer, but I wanted to see how many fewer Itoyas I actually need. I am down at least 6 Itoyas now since the process started. Of course, 15 of those pieces went on my walls as well but the rest went out the door. Just in time for the Dr. Strange movie buzz to get started.

And in that sell-off I have offered many pieces that have not sold; many fine pieces from my collection have been available at the right price at one time or another. And one of them just got put into The Fifty, so if you were thinking of buying the page from Dr. Strange issue 170 that I offered briefly, too late!

Dan Adkins Dr. Strange 170 page 10


I used to have four pages from this issue but have sold two over time. One got framed, and it is the page after this one. So I decided that the Dr. Strange wall, aka Frames of The Faltine!, would look better with the two pages from issue 170 on one side complementing the two pages from Tomb of Dracula 44 that sit on the other side. This will mean relocating the Paul Smith commission, but I had always planned on having a wall of Dr. Strange commissions eventually anyway so this works for me a few ways.

This page and the one that follows it in the book and on my wall are just wonderful pages. Dr. Strange's astral form and his battles with Nightmare are core elements of the character's history and it is because of pages like these that those elements are so lasting to the mythos. And I think Dan Adkins was a wonderful artist and am proud to own some of the art he produced and display it on my walls.


The Fifty
1  Barry Windsor-Smith Storyteller Young Gods page 4 (framed)
2  Tony Harris / Ray Snyder Dr. Strange WIRED Magazine cover  (framed)
3  Barry Windsor-Smith Weapon X page  (framed)
4  Gene Colan / Tom Palmer Tomb of Dracula 44 page 22  (framed)
5  Tony Harris Starman 3 cover  (framed)
6  Barry Windsor-Smith Daredevil 236 page (framed)
7  Tony Harris Starman 53 cover  (framed)
8  David Mazzucchelli Daredevil 233 page 19
9  JHW3 Milestone Forever pinup
10  Simon Bisley Dr. Strange vs The Mindless Ones
11  Paul Smith Dr. Strange vs Dr.Doom  (framed)
12  Dave Sim Mars Attacks variant cover
13  Gene Colan / Tom Palmer Tomb of Dracula 44 page 1 splash  (framed)
14  Dan Green Dr. Strange: Into Shamballa splash (framed)
15  Tony Harris 1994 Starman pinup  (framed)
16  Bill Sienkiewicz Superman 400 pinup recreation
17  Ted McKeever Dr. Strange vs Dr.Doom in Hell
18  Dean Ormston Dr. Strange & Eternity
19  Bryan Talbot Dr. Strange commission
20  Dan Adkins Dr Strange 170 page 11  (framed)
21  Dan Adkins Dr. Strange 170 page 10
22  Ulises Farinas - Dr. Strange in his Sanctum Sanctorum
23  Rudy Nebres - Dr. Strange, Dracula & The Scarlet Witch
24  Mike Allred - Doctor Strange, Clea, The Ancient One, Wong, and Rintrah...A Day Off
25  Anna Merli Clea
26  Mitchell Bretweiser Dr. Strange watercolor
27  Jae Lee Dr. Strange
28  Darwyn Cooke Wonder Woman  (framed)
29  Walt Simonson Alan Moore as Rorschach (framed)

No comments: