Saturday, September 28, 2013

...finally...Gene Colan and The Fifty

The other day I started a blog post about The Fifty now containing Gene Colan, and let me not forget Tom Palmer, and got derailed by a discussion of some of the different Dr. Strange artists. So now I need to show the bad boy!

Tomb of Dracula 44 page 1 splash! Gene Colan and Tom Palmer, artists

Now take a look at that. It is missing a balloon from the printed page, but I like it better without (Doc mutters 2-3 words about Wong  being in danger if I recall correctly) . This story was the deal forme back in the 70s/early 80s. I remember driving to a baseball card and comic show at an Elks Club in Toms River NJ where I bought a ton of Dr. Strange issues for 25 cents each. I got my drivers license in 1984 and moved out of town in 1985, so that pretty much narrows it down, eh? Issue 14 of that title is the issue that crosses over with the one this art is from, Tomb of Dracula 44. Incredibly, Gene Colan and Tom Palmer were doing the art for both titles at that time, although I think at least Tomb was every other month.

Tomb 44 and Doc 14 are a crazy and wild ride. Wong dies by Dracula's bite. Doc dies by Dracula's bite. Dracula is defeated by Doc and that includes a crazy, partial-dream / partial-reality sequence where vampire Dr. Strange bites Dracula and turns him from human to vampire.

I am lucky enough to now own one page from Dr. Strange 14 and three from Tomb 44. I may be able to acquire another one soon enough, although the itch is close to scratched. (But who knows, maybe I will sell up in November!?! hint hint no promise but hint hint) I am saddened by the fact that although I was able to meet Gene Colan, along with wonderful wide Adrienne (now now, c'mon. They were lifemates despite how it ended and no one, no one, knows what transpires between spouses so I prefer to remember the couple I met.), I was not able to have these pages signed as I only bought them after his passing. but that is a very minor consideration. Because this page, really all of them but this one most of all, really fucking rocks my socks. You done read that right. It is a badass page from a great and classic comic. If you are surprised, you really shouldn't be...the Nebres piece already in The Fifty and a few others I own are all in some way an homage to this storyline.

I may end up with all the pages from these 2 issues that I own in the Fifty, I may add some but not others. Que sera sera and all that. But what is sure right now, what is clear and undeniable is that this splash will be on my wall for years and years to come. Will it be there on my last day on Earth (11/29/2066)? I don't know...but for now it is in The Fifty.


The Fifty
1  BWS Storyteller Young Gods page 4
2  Tony Harris / Ray Snyder Dr. Strange WIRED Magazine cover
3  Gene Colan / Tom Palmer Tomb of Dracula 44 page 1 splash
4  Simon Bisley Dr. Strange vs The Mindless Ones
5  Dan Green Dr. Strange: Into Shamballa splash
6  Bill Sienkiewicz Superman 400 pinup recreation
7  Dan Adkins Dr Strange 170 page 11
8  Anna Merli Clea
 JH Williams 3rd / Mick Gray Promethea 24 double page spread
10  Rudy Nebres - Dr. Strange, Dracula & The Scarlet Witch


No comments: