Sunday, September 15, 2013

Dr. Strange 170 - Dan Adkins enters The Fifty

A few years ago Mike Burkey sold a complete issue of Dr Strange, broken up page by page. There was a bit of a fuss at the time over this as some feel that the issue had survived intact for decades and should remain so. But commerce won out in the end and the pages were scattered to the wind. I think Mike may have a few left in fact. Tell him I sent you.

But some of those pages did not scatter, but rather landed in a heap on my doorstep. I bought four of the pages over time, and still have three. Why I sold one I do not know, but these things happen. I really dig these pages from a great issue featuring Nightmare impersonating Hamir and attacking Doc and The Ancient One. I was very pleased to have the chance to purchase these pages and love owning them.

Dan Adkins was the penciller and inker of the issue. The artist, completely. He told a nice story I think, and the issue is full of fun camera movements and perspective changes. Dan passed recently, and I bemoan the fact that I have his address right here but never used it to tell him how groovy I thought he was or to purchase a cover reproduction. But I own three pages from Dr. Strange 170, so at least I have that going for me.

Here is the one I have chosen to frame this week. Yes, Dan Adkins enters The Fifty.

Dan Adkins pencils/inks Dr Strange 170 page 11

Doc got his own Marvel Comics title with issue 169, only one prior to the one this page appeared in. That is cool I think. 1968 Marvel Comics psychedelia -mysticism, astral projections and Nightmare personified. Yeah, Groovy with a capital G!

The Fifty
1  BWS Storyteller Young Gods page 4
2  Tony Harris / Ray Snyder Dr. Strange WIRED Magazine cover
3  Simon Bisley Dr. Strange vs The Mindless Ones
4  Dan Green Dr. Strange: Into Shamballa splash
5  Bill Sienkiewicz Superman 400 pinup recreation
6  Dan Adkins Dr Strange 170 page 11
7  Anna Merli Clea
 JH Williams 3rd / Mick Gray Promethea 24 double page spread
9  Rudy Nebres - Dr. Strange, Dracula & The Scarlet Witch

No comments: